What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are the optimal treatment for restoring missing teeth without harming additional teeth. They are also able to support dentures and prevent difficulties associated with slipping and shifting of the denture. Implants are surgically placed in the jawbone and mimic the root of the natural tooth preventing bone reduction. Dental implants are restored with high-strength porcelain crowns, bridges and dentures.
Reasons for Dental Implants:
- Missing tooth or teeth.
- Dentures are not the right solution.
- Support for remaining and surrounding teeth.
Dental Implant Benefits
- Dental implants are custom designed and fitted between existing teeth.
- Dental implants offer strong support to an artificial dental crown.
- Dental implants look and feel more natural compared to dentures or bridges.
- Dental implants prevent the jawbone from shrinking when a tooth is removed.
- Dental implants are created to last the lifetime of a patient offering great value in the long run.
- Dental implants have almost a 100% success rate.
Dental Implant Process
Depending on the dental implant treatment plan, it may take a day, or in some cases a few months, to build and place the tooth replacement. At Signture Smiles, our experienced dentist will discuss in detail what treatment options are available and that best suit you for your long-term dental health.
Dental Implant Placement
An X-ray will be taken to determine the implant placement location. Our dentist will begin by surgically placing the implant into the jawbone. It will take a couple of days to recover from the surgery as there will be swelling and/or tenderness. Pain medicine will be prescribed for the discomfort. Eating soft foods during recovery is recommended.
Dental Implant Healing Process
During the healing process the jawbone will grow around the implant and futher reinforce the strength of the implant. It will take several months for the implant to be fully integrated with the bone. During this period, a temporary tooth can be placed on the implant. Once the dental implant is fully integrated, a permanent replacement tooth will be installed on the implant.
Custom Designed Dental Crown
The replacement tooth will be a custom designed dental crown that will be colored and shaped like the rest of the teeth. After the design is completed, the dental crown will be placed on the implant. At our Houston dental office, we can produce same day crowns at our dental lab inside our clinic.